The Muslim Community of Lesotho established the first mosque (masjid) in Lesotho in Butha-Buthe district between 1905 and 1910.
In late 1950′s, an English medium school was introduced within the mosque premises and was named after St.Soofie. It had only five grades. In the year 1971, an accidental fire burned down the entire mosque building, including the school.
The Muslim Community applied for a school site from the lands office in 1988 and the Land Authority allocated a site for the school. However due to high demand, a bigger site was needed. As a result, a mutual agreement was entered into with the lands Authority and thus the existing school site was allocated in exchange of the previously granted land and was registered. The construction of the first building was undertaken in the middle of 1989 and completed in January 1990, the funds were from the Lesotho Muslim community. Regular classes for standard one to standard five began in February 1990 with only 70 students on the roll of the school.
In January 1991, Soofia was given 161003 as its registration number. It is a matter of great pride to mention here that since 1992 Soofia has been presenting its children for P.S.L. examinations and obtaining 100% results every year. In order to offer a proper and sound foundation in English right from the age group of 4 to 6 years, a pre-school section was introduced in 1998. Currently Soofia is one of the best schools in the country.
ESTABLISHMENT OF POST PRIMARY SECTION
Again in response to popular demands by parents, we established our Secondary section in 2005. This section was operated by some dedicated, hard-working and cooperative teachers with the support of some from the primary section. Presently, our post primary section is self contained, that is, no teachers from primary section to lay a hand for assistance.
As a result of the persistent request of the parents and the community at large, we decided to establish our COSC section in 2008 and in 2009 the school presented its first batch of 44 candidates in COSC examination.